Tuesday 15 July 2008

HL7V2.x and Non-MLLP/ HL7V2.x and CDA

After working for 10 years for a company i resigned my job last month and joined a new job last week.Iam not in a position to post anything new due to lack of time and lack of space(shifting to a new home as well). I will do so from August when i hope to get some decent time and space in my new home.But i could not resist posting two quick comments for those who came to my my blog with two search words and terms

The first one is for the person who came to my blog with the long search query term “is there any other way of transporting hl7 message apart from mllp”. Yes there are , there are two alternative options to sending HL7V2.xmessages over MLLP one is sending it over HLLLP; For details see my post on HL7V2.x and Low layer protocols
http://healthcareinformatics3000feet.blogspot.com/2007/12/hl7v2x-and-low-layer-protocols.html

The other option is to use ebXML; use the normal ebxml header and put the hl7v2.x message in the MIME part; for discussions on ebXML structure see my ebXML and HL7V3 posts.

The second comment is for the guys who came with the term HL7V2.x and CDA , I just want to mention that From the perspective of a V2.x CDA document is a multimedia object, to be exchanged as a Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions (MIME, RFC 2046) package, encoded as an encapsulated data type (ED).In V2.x, CDA documents are to be exchanged in the OBX segment, in any message that can exchange documents (such as MDM). Within the OBX segment, the MIME package is placed in OBX.5 (Field 00573 Observation value), encoded as a V2.x encapsulated data type.

I will write in detail later on the above two in my next posts.